As the torch relay to Sochi nears its conclusion and the games begin, many brands will be thinking of ways they can methodically get in on the social media conversation. However, due to the heightened sensitivity of this year’s games, social media strategists should be strategic in their approach.
Sandra Fathi, social media expert and president of Affect PR (www.affect.com), a PR and social media agency in New York, has shared a few tips strategists can keep in mind when they plan their Sochi Olympics social media conversations:
- Be mindful of Olympic trademarks. Ensure your content is not violating any copyright issues.
- Be respectful of the Olympics’ massive, global audience. Only insert your brand into the conversation when you really have something of value to add, and if the conversation isn’t too sensitive.
- Know how the hashtag is being used. Be aware of the overall tone of the conversation you choose to engage in.
- Connect your content with your brand’s message. As a business, it’s essential to engage in conversation that is relevant to your audience. Otherwise, you may lose followers.
- Be timely. Enforce real time marketing (RTM) to get the most mileage out of your posts.